Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Time has Come

At the end of this month I will be officially be in my mid twenties and entering the 25-35 age bracket. From now on I will be able to rent a car and make it rain with all the money I’ll save from the lower car insurance. What an exciting time in my life.

The thing is, I’m having a little bit of trouble dealing with the fact I’m turning 25. It’s not that 25 is old or anything but it seems like this is the age when you should know how to navigate through life. Maybe not easily but at least in a “I didn’t get lost driving home from the grocery store” kind of way.

I’ve been spending the last few days searching the internet for some kind of encouraging news or success stories about turning 25. You know, like “The year I turned 25 was the best year of my life! I got an awesome job, a beautiful spouse, an incredible home and David Byrne seems to be writing a song about my life.” 
How did you get a beautiful home and a beautiful wife with that suit jacket?
But all I can find are these articles explaining how more and more 25 year olds are having a quarter life crisis, while others are just trying to keep a grasp on their kegger days. These findings were a little less encouraging and a little more pitiful than what I was expecting.

Actually I wish I wouldn’t have started snooping around on the internet because it didn’t make me feel any better. It just helped make my mental dialogue more colorful: “You're a quarter of a century old!” or “You’re half way to fifty!” The internet always seems to have this negative effect on me. Like all those times I tried to self diagnose with WebMD and thought I had scurvy or tyrotoxism (poisoning by cheese).
probably cancer
Getting older has never bothered me in the past. Well, last years birthday was a little strange. I seemed to have forgotten that I was 23 turning 24 and instead thought I was 22 turning 23. It was all very confusing and I still feel as though someone stole a year of my life. Similar to how I felt during the credits of 2 Fast and 2 Furious.
I've just sucked one year of your life away
But normally I don’t even think about my age and I have several interesting and inspiring older role models that make getting older seem graceful and exciting (The only one that comes to mind at the moment is Auntie Mame. Probably not a good sign). So why is it 25 seems to be bothering me so much? Who knows? I’m sure I’ll deal with on a couch someday but for now I've been self medicating with Queen.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...